Trailer Tom shows you how to play Indianapolis 500 Pinball machine. Additional commentary by Fred Richardson and Ffej Knar.
Indy 500 is in a standard width cabinet, that contains 4 balls.
A letter in the word “INDY” appears at the top of each lane. Rolling through an unlit lane will light the letter, use the flippers to change lit lanes. Complete INDY to light Souvenir on the left ramp if not already lit. There is no kickback. One thing, if you collected all souvenirs, this is useless (you can’t collect them again)…It will still say souvenir is lit, don’t worry about it.
Modes in Indy 500 are called Speedways. There are 10 modes, and an 11th which must be started last. You can start modes while others are running, that is, they run concurrently; and continue to run during Multiball.
Modes are started by shooting the Right Orbit when Award Speedway is lit, the ball must land in the popper for the mode to begin. Shoot the Left Orbit (Light Speedway) to relight Award Speedway. The totals for each mode are added in the end of ball bonus.
Note: The Center Hole also sometimes starts modes, but I’m not 100% sure of the semantics of that yet. Well… it will always be lit to start mode every time when you launched the ball (except Ball locks) or when other modes have ended (that I’m not sure).
The modes are displayed in the middle of the playfield. Lit ones have been played, unlit ones haven’t and the flashing one will be played next. The flashing mode only appears if Award Speedway is lit, and it seems that the only way to change the flashing mode is with Advance Speedway from the Right Ramp; see the section on Speed Ramp for more information. You can start a mode when you land the ball in the center popper and the Green Flag has lighted. Usually, it will be on in ball you start.
The modes are:
A driver takes a wrong turn and ends up taking the Indy Car onto the streets. Great Animations. This is a 30 second mode where each switch awards 250,000. Shoot any hole to raise the value by 250,000. For every hole, one of three things happens:
• The Indy Car pulls over next to a farmer (with cow). The farmer announces, in a typical farmer voice: “You go about half a mile past the barn, and take a left!”.
• The Indy Car hoons through the drive through of a Very Fast Food store (get it?), and the driver screams: “Don’t forget the fries!”
• The Indy Car is stuck in traffic, and you guessed it: “Move your car!”
The ball is locked, and Pit Stop begins. See the section on Pit Stop for more information. Note, it is not possible to re-light the Speedway during Pit Stop.
Go For The Pole
You have 20 seconds to spell Pole. Shoot the Right Ramp to get the next letter, it’s worth 5, 10, 15, 20 Million. This does not effect your Position. Note, you still have to play this, even if you have started it off the Right Ramp at the start of a ball.
If you got this mode by shooting the right ramp, Green Flag is lit, and this mode is running, you will be awarded the Green Flag award (see multiball for how much). You only get this once, 2nd and subsequent times you will just boost the jackpot up by 2 million till you maxed out (see jackpot for max amount).
 in Easy mode, you have 30 seconds.
I like starting this, just to hear the Announcer say it! You have 30 seconds to pass the car in front. Shoot all four Car Shots to pass. It is worth 5, 10, 15, 20 Million.
Light Extra Ball
Lights Extra Ball at the Center Hole.
This is stackable by other ways and methods.
A 30 second mode where you must try and open 5 doors to get the goodies behind them. The Right Orbit opens the next door (the ball must go into the Popper). Behind the doors are:
• 10 Laps [Also awards 5 million]
• 10 Million
• Pass 15 cars [Also awards 15 million]
• 20 Million
• 25 Million
Note that the Laps are tripled if Triple Scoring is active, although the display doesn’t indicate this.
This is the video mode, and I quite like it. Move the car left and right with the flippers (like Getaway). Avoid obstacles, and collect point values (1, 2, 5, 10 Million); as well as the Extra Ball. Avoid 30 obstacles to finish. Hit an obstacle and you crash, but if you just skim an obstacle you only skid a bit. Look for the Doho in the skid/crash animation.
Another great one to start to hear Mr Announcer say “Triple Playfield Scoring!”. Not only does this triple all scores (including Multiball jackpots), but it also triples the number of Laps each shot awards. It lasts for 30 seconds.
Two ball multiball. The jackpot value starts at 10 million, collect it by shooting the Turbo Lock. Shoot the Left Ramp, (Increase Boost) to raise the jackpot by 10 Million; it maxes at 90 Million. Note that the value slowly creeps back down to 10 Million, so you have to keep hitting the left ramp to keep it up there. It is not possible to relight the Speedway during this mode.
This seemed to have absolutely no effect. There were no timers, and the Light-Up Targets continued to score as they do in normal play. But you do get to hear the announcer say “Super light-Ups!”.
Make 30 hits, to get 30 million. Ends after the 30 hits, or when the ball drains. Your settings will vary. For some, it won’t end until game is completely over so you still have a chance to get 30 million. Can be concurrent with secret mode (rarely).
Only available when the other 10 have at least started. All this does is light Victory Lap in the Center Hole.
See [Easter Eggs]. Only selectable if ball is in center hole when green Flag is lit.
Scattered around the playfield are 4 Spanner Targets. At the start of the game they flash, and once hit they remain solidly lit. Complete all four to make them flash again. The first hit (when flashing) is worth 500,000, otherwise they are worth 250,000. Completing them is worth 2 million.
Your settings would vary. Mostly, it is 4 million, then the value goes up by 2 million every time you spell out the 4 letter words below.
This process continues during all multiballs.
These are very weird targets in that completing them seems to have no effect other then spelling a four letter word. The words are:
INDY, RACE, CARS, FAST, LAPS, TIRE, FUEL, DOHO, OVAL, GEAR, WING, SPIN, WOOF, MILK, PASS, TURN, SKID, WALL, COWS
After COWS, it starts again with INDY.
There are three light up targets in this game. One is just to the left of the Center Hole, the other two are next to each other below the jets.
The targets work in waves. Completing all three targets completes a wave. Completing a target involves hitting it four times. The number of remaining hits of a target is easily detectable by the number of flashing lights on that target. Complete targets remain complete until the end of the wave.
Per hit: X Million – Where X is the current wave number
On Completion: 5 Million
The Souvenirs help complete waves. If you have the right souvenir for a particular wave, then each target only needs one hit to complete it, instead of four.
Shoot the left ramp after plunging any ball for the skill shot award. The first award is 5 million, and making the shot increases it by 1 million. The maximum skill shot award is 15 million.
This is not mentioned anywhere in the game, but shooting the right ramp early in the ball (possibly within the first 10 or 20 seconds) will start the Go For The Pole mode. Note: this does NOT spot the Speedway Light, so you must still start this mode from the back popper for the machine to consider it played.
1 Before I go on…there are only 3 multiball types. Regular, Pit, and Turbo. NO Big Multiballs, Major endings, etc. The only major ending is the victory lap. That’s it.
2 During Pit Mode and/or other multiball, if the Green Flag is lit, and you land in the center hole, you will be awarded the Green Flag Awarded which starts at 6 Million and it increases by 1 million.
Examples of Big Multiball
• Cirqus Voltaire – Party M (1997)
• NBA Fastbreak – Trophy M (1996)
• Junk Yard – Outer Space (1995)
• Shoot the Left Orbit to light lock. For the first multiball, one shot will light lock 1 and 2. For the second multiball, the Left Orbit must be shot twice (once for each lock). For the third multiball, the Left Orbit must be shot twice to light each lock. I’m assuming that it continues to get harder.  In easy mode, you need to shoot the loop 3 times for the for 3rd and subsequent multiballs.
• Lock balls in the Turbo Lock. It’s actually a good shot because the Left Orbit (light lock) feeds the upper flipper, so you can then hammer the ball into the lock. In fact, this is a combo, worth 10 million the first time, and increases by 2 million. The max is 30 million.
• After locking the second ball, multiball begins. It’s three ball multiball, so the third is autolaunched.
• Lock quotes: Lock 1: Driver 1 has a ball in the Turbo bobby. That’s right Paul, another one means a guaranteed multiball. Lock 2: Woow! There’s the second lock. We’re ready for multiball … and here we go!
• Balls are ejected from the lock to the right flipper.
• Since the game has an autoplunger, it is not possible to steal other players locked balls. The good thing is that in multiplayer games, the autoplunged balls return to the right flipper as well.
• The base jackpot value is 20 million. Shoot the Turbo Lock in normal play, when lock isn’t lit, to add 2 million to the base, to a max of 50 Million. You can also go to the center popper (when green flag light is not on) and it will do the same as well. Settings may very, for the machine in my area, the base is 30 million.
• At the start of multiball, Jackpot is lit on both ramps. After both ramps have been hit, the jackpot alternates. Listen for the audio cues as to which ramp to hit.
• Collecting a jackpot raises the value by 2 million.
• Lock a ball during multiball to raise the value by 10 million. After about 20 seconds, this ball will be unlocked, and the jackpot will return to the base value (ie: the value it was at the start of multiball).
• Lock a second ball during multiball (ie: while one ball is already locked), to raise the jackpot by a further 10 million. If only two balls are in play, then a third will be launched. Both balls will be kicked out after about 20 seconds, and the jackpot will return to the base value (ie: what it was at the start of multiball).
• Lock a third ball during multiball (ie: while two balls are already locked), to collect the Super Jackpot worth 60 Million.
• After the first Super Jackpot, locking the third ball simply raises the jackpot by a further 10 million, but a fourth ball will be launched into play. Lock this ball to collect the Super Jackpot.
• If, during multiball, there is only one ball in play while all others are locked, and that ball drains, then all locked balls are released.
• Multiball ends when less then two balls remain in play, and the lock is empty.  In easy mode, if you made the ball into turbo lock at least one time and later ball(s) drains, but one, the multiball is still active, you just play with a monoball till you collect the super jackpot..you can still make jackpots through the ramps. This is similar to Levels 1-3 in CV (when you completed all 9 marvels).
Hit The Wall
No, this is not a version of the Pizza Hut ads, “Hit the Hut tonight”!
Complete the Hit The Wall targets to light Hit The Wall on the Right Orbit. The ball must land in the popper to get this award, even though the animation is triggered by the orbit roll-over switch. The first time this is worth 5 million, the second time 7 million, third time 9 million etc.
This continues during all multiballs.
When you do a buy-in, the award is set..won’t go any higher so if you scored 7 million before the buy-in, then it will stay at 7 million.
Light Change Setup by hitting the Blue Target. The first time only one hit is necessary, but after each Change Setup, the number of hits needed increases by one. The display tells you how many hits remain to light it.
When lit, collect Change Setup on the Right Orbit (the ball must go into the popper). It’s a ‘choose your own award’ award, but, you only have 5 seconds to find what you want, and there’s no turning back.
Pit Stop Multiball
• Complete the PIT rollover lanes to light Pit Stop on the Right Ramp.
• Shoot the Right Ramp, and the ball will be locked at a cool little diverter-lock on the left side of the machine.
• If Pit Stop is started by the Quick Pit Speedway, the ball is popped from the popper at the back of the machine, and locked in the diverter lock. The rest of the mode functions the same.
• A second ball is autolaunched, and you have 25 seconds to shoot the Right Ramp to exit the pit. The taunting quotes are great. “Today.. today.. today..”
• The machine keeps track of the person who exited the pit the quickest. Since our machine doesn’t do this, I can’t say what the default is, but records have been seen at 1.7 and 1.4 seconds.
• When you shoot the Right Ramp, or the 25 seconds time out, the locked ball will be released, and two-ball multiball begins.
• If you drain before releasing the locked ball, it will be released, and normal play resumes.
• Depending on how quickly you unlock the second ball, 1-4 cars will be lit for 10 million jackpot. It may be increased by 2 million.
Increase the bonus multiplier by completing the PIT rollover lanes, to a Maximum of 8x.
Bonus is made up of:
10,000 x laps
+ (50,000 x (27-position)) + 200,000
= Total Bonus
It is NOT possible to speed up the bonus count, but it’s pretty quick anyway.
Here is the link to Bowen Kerins Indy 500 tutorial filmed at PAPA: